Okay, wait, what I mean is how to pick the photographer who will be photographing you nude, not a photographer who photographs in the nude. Just wanted to make that clear!
This list can also be used if you are planning to do a boudoir, glamour, or pinup portrait.
First, do an online search. Search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo are the best. The most effective phrase to search on is “nude photography Calgary” (replace Calgary with your city name). You can do the same for boudoir, pinup, glamour, etc.
When you look at the photographer’s website, check these things out:
1) Are the images recent and the website updated? Some photographers have only photographed a few women. Stale images suggest not much activity.
2) Do they also have a blog or Facebook page and are they current? You can tell a lot about a photographer from these sources.
3) Do they have a guarantee for the experience and the images? If they don’t, be careful.
4) Are there lots of testimonial comments? If only a few, that suggests that they have not photographed many women or not that many were happy enough to comment.
5) How long have they been photographing nudes? Nude photography is tricky, and experience shows up in better portrayals of the body and emotions.
6) Is this a small part of a studio offering or the only thing they do? A lot of photographers are shoe-horning in this service along with weddings, children, families, etc.
7) Is professional hair and makeup styling included? Does it cost extra?
If all this checks out, go visit them. It’s really important to make sure you feel safe and have a connection with the photographer.
As part of your search, you can also ask your friends. They can also tell you about their photographic experiences.
Ask to see the studio or the place the photos will take place. Will it be warm? This is very important if you are considering doing nudes. With our studio we went with in-floor heating to maximize comfort.
It’s also important to determine if the photographer just does the latest fad approach or if their images are more timeless and classic in their feel.
Having nude images created of you is an exhilarating experience, if done right. It usually starts off on nervous footing, but as you see your images being created, your confidence grows and the nerves vanish.
Working with a photographer who inspires you, and makes you feel safe and wonderfully capable of looking your best, is not only amazing but essential. Don’t settle for anything less.
So, what do you think, do you have any more questions that you would like answered on photographer selection?